So, we have confirmation that Hayes is suffering from some pretty major allergies that have been an underlying culprit in his eczema and feeding issues. Last week Chris and I decided to try a new snack for him bc we are working on his self-feeding with small treats like Gerber Puffs, etc. Well, we tried Gerber Yogurt Bites.....not a good idea. Within seconds, he was clawing and scratching at his neck and starting to cry. We looked a little closer and realized he was developing whelps all over his hands, face and neck and they were getting worse by the second. Chris ran over and jerked him up out of the highchair to make sure his breathing was not labored. Luckily it wasn't. We called the emergency doctor on call at the pediatricians office and with the help of them, some Benedryl and some wet compresses....we were able to resolve that little episode. Since that happened and were already suspecting that Hayes was allergic to milk, I took him to see an allergist today. She was not warm and fuzzy, but very helpful and concerned with his situation and the eczema, etc. So she ran 4 panels (28 pricks) of skin prick test on his back testing him for all kinds of food and environmental allergens. It was pitiful. Hayes was very nervous and he was very upset from the pain of the pricks. Poor little guy. His little lip came out and he had the biggest crocodile tears streaming down his face. The conclusion was that he is allergic to milk, ,milk protein, cat dander, and peanuts. So, we are to put him on a very strict diet and read all ingredients on everything he eats. He is not to have anything with more than one or two ingredients and we have to be very careful of exposing him directly to dairy products because he breaks out on contact. I also have to perform several skin patch tests at home that range anywhere from the carpet to the soap/detergent we use on him daily to rule out other culprits. He is not allowed to be fed by anyone except Chris or I, unless we give the person the food to feed him. I was already very strict about what he ate, but this just reaffirms my strictness. Its too serious to take lightly. The doctor even wrote a prescription telling people that if they try to feed him, then they are invited to him next evaluation to be educated on how to be the "boss of his mouth". (see pic) Wow! Like I said, she is not warm and fuzzy. She was very direct and abrasive, but I appreciate her seriousness. I was warned ahead of time about her personality, so it did not offend me like it normally would. I would not stand one second working for her though. She was asking her employees in the hall all these questions and you could hear them scrambling around to answer her and give her what she wanted and she yelled at them and said, "Can I just finish my sentence please, this is my order." Then she put on a fake smile and came in the room with us and was right back to business. I was like, "Whoa!" Then she yelled out something else for this poor old lady to do and she said, "Do this.... and make it quick". Anyways, here are some pics form our little visit. In some of the pics he look happy, those are obviously before and then there is one to show you how he can't sit still at all and even though he does not crawl on the floor, he crawls and climbs all over me!








video wont work...need to have chris fix that,
ReplyDeletesorry.